Monday, April 2, 2012

We're a Social Butterfly

Written by Jonathan



Starting to consider and work on our next podcast - Social Medial. Obviously I am not against the use of social media (see: podcast, blog, facebook page, twitter feeds, etc.). I don't know if I ever stopped, stepped back, and took a look at what was happening.

One of the big reasons I am engaged in social media is to kill time. What better way to spend the afternoon then to browse facebook and read everyone else's status update? And it is ministry!

I tell myself that it is for the sake of ministry and spreading the gospel; I am sure there is some truth in that. Personally, I have been using various types and forms of social media for different types of discourse. My own blog is snarky and academic. My church facebook page is light and pastoral. Different discourse. Just like we are different with different people.

I have a little more to consider, but it is still nascent and I don't want to spill everything before we even record the podcast. I am looking at Foucault and his approach to institutions, power, education, and truth. Consider, if a church does not have a presence on facebook then does it exist on facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment