Tuesday, April 10, 2012

VBS = Very Boring Summer

How many have ever attended a Vacation Bible School? I did, once. That was all I needed.

Not really, but for some reason my parents did not send me back. I may have had something to do with the nature of the teaching and the emphasis on conversion.

As a pastor I have had the opportunity to lead a couple of VBS - a couple were a little heavy on the blood of Jesus stuff, but I wasn't in charge.

VBS used to be a major form of neighborhood evangelization, but not so much any more. It used to be a well attended program, but not at all any more.

So as I think about VBS (we will be doing an episode on that in a couple of weeks) I wonder if it is still alive and if so, should we allow it to die. Is there any current relevancy to VBS?

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment